Good Dialogue is Oblique or Indirect

We all cherish good dialogue. Not only is it easy to read but it can convincingly further the plot and breathe life into the characters. It allows the individual reader to have her personal take on what is happening on stage. And it provides a social life to the reader who is usually reading alone. Dialogue is so easy to read and it's such an effective page turner that the reader altogether misses the most important aspect of good dialogue: It is hard to write.

For example, when I say: Mary is shorter than John, I have written a simple and precise statement. It is also a very dull statement. So, let's put this in dialogue to make it exciting:

Hi Mary.”
I am shorter than you, John.”
Not exciting, is it? Unfortunately most of our real, daily dialogue is of this form, direct question and answer and hence boring. That's why we turn to novels! Good fictional dialogue is interesting because it's “oblique” or “indirect”. In fiction, characters answer questions obliquely or they talk about one thing while the reader understands something else. To say the same thing with oblique or indirect dialogue, I must create a conversation that will in effect cipher my simple statement (“Mary is shorter than John”) in such a way that the reader is sure to decipher it correctly. This deciphering requires intelligence and it's what makes dialogue exciting to the reader. I may write:


Mary, bring me the sugar bowl from the shelf.”
I can't reach that high, John.”
They talk about the sugar bowl but we understand indirectly that Mary can't reach that high. Of course there is no indication on how high the shelf is so Mary is not necessarily short, much less shorter than John. Also John's statement is an order and I have inadvertently characterized John as being bossy to Mary which was not my intention. So let me try again:

Mary, can you bring me the sugar bowl from the cupboard?”
I can't reach it, John.”
John is no longer bossy (he asks her) and Mary must be short as cupboards are made to be reached by people of average height (whereas shelves can be of any height). Still, it is not apparent that Mary is shorter than John. Here's something better:

Mary, can you bring the sugar bowl I've just put up on the shelf?”
I can't reach it, John.”
If we agree that John doesn't have extremely long arms, this establishes that Mary is shorter than John. But it also implies that John hasn't noticed just how much shorter Mary is. Does this matter in the story? If it does, I must do more editing.

In these 4 samples you have seen the difficulty of converting a simple statement to dialogue and how dependent characterization is on a single phrase. One wrong word is sometimes sufficient for the reader to misinterpret a character or his emotions from what the author intended. But dialogue is also good fun. Authors are authors because they like playing with words. Readers enjoy good dialogue because they like to use their intelligence to discover characters for themselves. Furthermore dialogue may help the novel to survive. Plays cater only to dialogue and have managed to survive for over 2.500 years.

Here is some dialogue from the novel I am writing now. I wanted to say that Mary (a diplomat) is shorter than John and although it doesn't matter to John, her height bothers her way too much:

(Mary) “My height doesn't bother you?”
(John) “I am not that tall myself.”
(Mary) “But you can't deny that I am short.”
(John) “Not short, just shorter.”
(Mary) “Not tall, shorter, however you say it, I am still short.”
(John) “They also say that my nose is a little larger than normal. You want to write an essay about it?”
(Mary) “So you say. But you are a man. A woman can't really run away from her appearance quibbles because she knows appearance really matters to you guys.”
(John) “Of course it matters. Why do you think I ran hands over heels to attend here tonight? To see Ming dynasty vases?”
(Mary) “But I was sitting down when you first saw me and when I stood up I was alone and you were far away.”
(John) “Enough. Let's just say that you have a problem with your height. I don't.”

We note that even though John tells Mary immediately that he doesn't care about her height, she behaves like an old record. Four consecutive times she cuts-off all the outs he gives her. But that alone doesn't signify that she has a problem. If she was a gasbag, it would mean nothing. But Mary is a diplomat, and diplomats speak in understatements. So the intelligent reader will understand that her height problem is in fact far worse than the dialogue implies.

That's why good dialogue is hard to write. Not only do the very first words someone uses define her as a character, but once her character is defined in some way, the words she uses from then on have a unique significance.

If the reader deciphers from the dialogue something other than what the author had intended then the two aren't communicating: The sure sign of a poor novel.

Read my previous articles on dialogue:



No comments:

Post a Comment