Can Sentence Length Induce Emotion?

A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought. It begins with a capital letter and ends with a dot which we call a period or full stop. This dot, and most punctuation marks, were invented by Aristophanes of Byzantium, around 200 BC. It didn't originally indicate the end of a sentence but the place someone who was reading out loud could pause to breathe. Somewhere in elementary school, we were all told that whenever we reach a period, we should take a deep breath, and I think we mostly do!

You might think that nothing could be further from the truth. To begin with, you don't normally read out loud. You can hardly remember who your elementary school teacher was, much less what she had said. And breathing is a necessity of life that usually occurs without much thought. So how can periods possibly control your breathing when you read to yourself? Nonsense right? Dead wrong! The average reader has somehow been trained by experience to take a full breath every time he reaches a period. Try reading a long sentence that has no commas (without thinking about it), and you'll think that you are asthmatic. You'll practically gasp for breath, almost choke. But where as a poor author by improper use of the period may suffocate his reader, a good one can use the period to affect his emotional state!


Consider anxiety, for example. It is a necessary ingredient in most genres and in fact almost all novels. It is usually induced in a scene by the action, the dialogue and the setting. When people are relaxed, they take even, deep breaths with their abdomen. When they are anxious they tend to take rapid, shallow breaths that come directly from the chest. This process also works the other way. It is well known that one of the ways you can induce relaxation is by taking deep and even breaths. By the same token you can induce anxiety by rapid, shallow ones. If we breathe every time we see a period, what will happen if the distance, and hence the time, between periods is short? You don't need a PhD to understand that a series of very short sentences, irregardless of the content, will induce anxiety!

I have to admit that I have not read this explicitly somewhere but good authors are not scientists. They don't write by numbers! They simply empathize with their anxious characters, get into an anxious state and write ...short sentences. It's easy to verify. Just pick-up one of your favourite novels, locate a spot where the characters experience anxiety and note the length of the sentences. I have found this to generally hold in most of my favourite thrillers. Let me quote you a passage:

Things weren’t bad at all! I got away from the monster and his murderers. I had disappeared into the dark sea. Gone! I couldn’t even hear the yacht’s engines. They probably hadn’t even missed me. And if they missed me and turned back, where would they look? Where had I jumped off? How far out had I swum? They had a hell of a large area to search. Even if someone told them exactly where I was, even if they came within reach, I would be difficult to find. The swell had roughed-up the sea and my black suit would disappear against the dark water. And in the one chance in a million, the perfect fluke, they came close enough to breathe down on my neck, I could dive. There was no way they could ever find me again. No way they could get me. I would get to my target though! I was well equipped and navigation was easy. And the swimming was almost a pleasure! Wasn’t it chic to go for a midnight swim? And I wasn’t totally out of shape. I could go on forever! Or could I? If I could, wouldn’t I feel more relaxed? Would I feel pain slowly spread in my arms and legs? Why did my oxygen-starved lungs sting? Why was I fatigued? Why was I scared?

In the text quoted there are exclamation and question marks as well as periods but the former are also breathing points. Note that even though the narrator is trying to calm himself, the punctuation marks and the short sentences still bring anxiety. Here is another example:

God Almighty! Now I was in for it! I couldn’t fight with a helicopter! I was too slow and unarmed, I was practically helpless. A sitting duck! All they had to do was shine their light on me, lift their gun in my direction and pull a trigger. Damn, bloody water. But perhaps they weren’t ordered to shoot me. I mean the Coin Tsar would want me alive. There was a little matter with a fourree decadrachm he wanted. He was obsessed. And if he didn’t want it, damn the bastard! He would probably get me but I wasn’t going to make it easy for him. Instinctively my hand went down to my knife and grasped the handle.

Even though you started reading from the middle of the book, note how quickly the point of view (“I”), your natural will to survive and of course the length of the sentences brought immediate anxiety.

I have only used anxiety as an example, but by using the same mechanism, a good author can give his sentences a form that will enhance his words and their connotation. If, for example, his characters are running out of breath because they are long distance runners or divers, long sentences without commas would lead the reader to run out of breath as well. This could be as, or even more, effective than any description. Immediately before a love scene, when the about to be lovers look at each other, their breaths first deepen. Then as they approach each other and touch their breathing becomes faster and shallower. A love scene therefore usually starts with long sentences that get progressively shorter as the lovers approach and touch.

It is obvious that the speed at which we read can also affect our emotional state. Speed readers usually don't read every word but sort of glance over the text, so their breathing is not affected. But people who read at a fast pace, will reach periods in quick succession and irregardless of what is happening in the book will tend to breathe quickly and get anxious. Slow readers on the other hand will complete sentences slowly and their breathing will be slow and deep.

If the latter are not alert, it would only be a matter of time before they fall asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment